Friday, May 02, 2008

It's How You Play the Game

I found this to be a fascinating story. Imagine, you're a player on a softball team in playoff contention, playing a team that's in the same boat as you. You give up a homerun to potentially lose the game, but just when you thought it was over, the baserunner injures her knee running the bases. The ump rules that unless the player comes around to touch home plate, the home run doesn't count. You think, "her teammates will carry her home." But, no, that's against the rules. So that means your team is suddenly in a great position to win and advance.

Now, the only thing that can keep you from victory is if you decide that some things in life are more important than wins and loses.
http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?cl=7635680

An amazing act of charity to say the least.

I wonder if the Red Sox would help out a Yankees player in a similar situation?

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:40 PM

    I really enjoyed this story.

    Here's a link to Plugged in Online, a movie review site from Focus on the Family. It has specifics as to the language and sex in the film. I would say there's some they could have left out, but it's that way with about any PG-13 movie. It's probably PG-13 more for the action and violence than anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would hope the Red Sox wouldn't carry the Yankees player. The rules are the rules. If I hit a homerun but can't run the bases because I injure myself, I haven't earned the homerun.

    To use a NASCAR analogy, it would be like the 1st place car running out of gas on the last lap and the 2nd place car deciding to push the car across the line instead of passing the slowing car for the win.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joseph, you're so cut-throat! Still... if the World Series is on the line.... hmm...

    I do like the NASCAR analogy. No Greg Biffle exceptions allowed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw this story and was amazed by it too ! thanks for sharing it :)

    ReplyDelete