Sunday, October 05, 2008

Nintendo meets the WMU: SBC Convention Retrospective

"Wii Want to Change Lives"


I picked this up at this year's Southern Baptist Convention in Indy. The WMU (Women's Missionary Union) teamed up with Nintendo Wii for a cross promotion. The WMU booth hosted a playable Wii and held a drawing to see who got to take home the prize. Needles to say, I didn't win (I did, however, score an awesome Cooperative Program t-shirt!).

If I might speak critically, I have no clue why the WMU thought this partnership would make sense and advance their cause other than the fact that it guaranteed the WMU booth would be one of the most visited booths on the SBC convention floor in 2008. It was indeed, thanks in part to myself, a non-anonymous Wii junkie always looking for his next opportunity to get another Wii buzz. I can't say I think these sorts of partnerships are in the best interest for Southern Baptist institutions or auxiliaries, but it was a lot of fun.

The only game playable at the booth was the original Wii Sports... except for the boxing competition. When I asked about playing it the representative fellow got a little excited and made it clear boxing would not be allowed. I told him former president Jerry Vines is a fan of boxing but that didn't change his mind. Oh well, I settled for Wii tennis. That doesn't tire me out near as much as the boxing one does. *Phew*

No comments:

Post a Comment